[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 5 most recent journal entries recorded in
|Tuesday, November 8th, 2011|
|Fda should cut the salt, public health group says - abc news
One public health group wants the us government to skimp for the salt, inside the name of helping Americans cut their probability of hypertension and heart disease.
Today, the American Public Health Association (APHA) urged the meal and Drug Administration to start out governing the volume of salt that winds up in processed foods. The audience also said the FDA should remove or change salt's status as a "Generally Thought to be Safe" ingredient, a designation that places few limits about the amount of sodium which can be put into foods.
"Reducing the volume of sodium put in the manufacturing and commercial food preparation is a prudent and safe public health intervention, and the single most beneficial means of reducing the sodium intake of Americans," the APHA said in a statement.
According for the FDA, the most important culprits in salty American diets are processed and restaurant-prepared foods, which account for around 75 % of Americans' total salt intake.
Citing "strong, continuous, graded, consistent, independent" data linking high salt intake to increased hypertension and heart disease, the APHA urged the FDA to lessen salt inside American diet by 75 % on the next Ten years.
The APHA joins a growing chorus of groups including the U. S. Institute of medication, the Centers for disease control and Prevention, and also the American Heart Association that say Americans should consume far less salt compared to they do, and in many cases less than the amount currently recommended by the authorities.
In 2010, the U. S. Dietary Guidelines set the recommended daily level of sodium intake at 2,300 milligrams to the general population, and 1,500 milligrams for people more than age 50, African Americans, and anyone who has hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease.
Many medical groups, such as the APHA, say all Americans should consume no more than 1,500 milligrams of sodium daily. That's about the amount present in 1 cup of canned refried beans and a slice of white bread, or possibly a quarter-pounder with cheese and a medium fries at McDonald's.
The Salt Institute, a market group representing salt companies, declared that degree of salt is not high enough and consuming a real low-sodium diet would negatively customize the health of most Americans.
Mortin Satin, vice president of science and research with the Salt Institute, said he disputes the research touted by medical groups that high salt intake has negative health consequences, noting the body of a human actually utilizes sodium to function.
"There are biological processes, physiological processes that respond once the body gets weak hands salt," Satin said. "There's a whole group of roles that salt must play, it's critical inside food system. You can not just remove salt, you need to replace it. "
Satin said he doesn't dispute the potential risks of blood pressure, but noted there are a number of ways by which Americans is effective in reducing their blood pressure, including getting more exercise and eating fruit and veggies buy sildenafil online no prescriptions.
In October, the Salt Institute accused the federal government of bias in addition to breaking federal law by disregarding scientific literature in their recommendations that Americans consume less sodium order sildenafil.
. Current Mood: cold
|Study touts new method to spot babies in danger of obesity - ctv news
- 2011 Skate Canada International
- The Amazing Race
- America's Next Top Model
- The large Bang Theory
- Blue Bloods
- The Bold and also the Beautiful
- The Bridge
- Charlie's Angels
- The Colbert Report
- Comedy Inc.
- Comedy Now!
- Criminal Minds
- The Daily Show
- Dan For Mayor
- Dancing using the Stars
- Defying Gravity
- Desperate Housewives
- The Dr. Oz Show
- The Ellen DeGeneres Show
- FaceTime with Jeanne Beker
- Fashion Television
- Grey's Anatomy
- Hot in Cleveland
- Within the Name With the Family
- Pixie lott - Born This Way: An . . celebrex cost.
- Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
- Law and Order: Special Victims Unit
- The Listener
- Man Up!
- The Marilyn Denis Show
- The Mentalist
- Mike & Molly
- Once Upon A Time
- Pan Am
- The Protector
- Roast of Charlie Sheen
- Shameless Idealists
- Which means you Think It is possible to Dance
- And that means you Think You are able to Dance Canada
- The View
- The Sing-Off
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
- Two and a Half Men
- Up All Night
- The Vampire Diaries
. Current Mood: determined
|Meharry medical college - office for research
The global pandemic of HIV infection and AIDS continues to spread and has already claimed more than 20 million lives. The problem comes to affect primarily people of color surviving in resource-poor nations. Within the United States, African Americans represent 13% from the population but account for a lot more than 50% of diagnosed AIDS cases. African American women take into account over two thirds of AIDS cases in females in the us. The prevalence of AIDS among African Americans is booming with an alarming rate, and inside nations capital a recent study found out that 3 to 5% of adult African Americans are HIV-positive. Some studies indicate anytime infection, inside absence of treatment, African Americans progress more quickly to AIDS than other racial groups and could suffer clinical problems, like HIV-associated nephropathy, not typically affecting other racial groups. The HIV/AIDS epidemic in African Americans can be a true crisis that will need immediate and intense action.
The biological complexity of HIV and AIDS is matched by the political and cultural complexity of societys reply to herpes. The multidimensional nature of the HIV/AIDS problem in the Dark-colored community means that this solution will require the coordinated efforts of individuals from many disciplines; medical service providers, simple and easy clinical researchers, public health officials, journalists, faith leaders, politicians, social workers, community leaders and educators. Solving the situation of Is great for the African American community requires not only the mobilization of human resources but additionally substantial financial resources at the same time for research, education, capacity building, counseling, and treatment.
The Center for AIDS Health Disparities Research (CAHDR) at Meharry Medical Colleges School of medication is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NCRR grant number U54 RR019192). The key charge given on the Center would be to conduct research and also other scholarly activities designed to identify, understand, and eliminate factors to blame for the profoundly disproportionate burden of AIDS and HIV infection among minority populations in the United States.
Our obligation could be the compassionate reduction of HIV in our community and world. Through combining research with community partnerships, the very center for AIDS Health Disparities Research will dramatically reduce the responsibility of Is great for the local minority community. Discoveries made and models developed by the middle will have permanent national and global impact. buy sildenafil no prescriptions
Recognizing the need for a multi-discipline approach to the problem and also the research needed to eliminate it, the CAHDR has identified three major regions of focus:
Biology, Behavior, and Community Outreach. Current Mood: naughty
|Healthy take out: tricks for making healthier fast food choices
The short response is: rarely. Typically, take out is lacking in nutrition and high in trans fat, saturated fat, sodium, and calories. Some situations:
- One sack of hash bites or potato snackers from White Castle , as an example, contains 10 grams of very unhealthy trans fat. The American Heart Association recommends we consume below 2 grams of trans fat daily. So in a side order, youve just eaten more than five days importance of heart-busting trans fat!
- A single meal of the Double Whopper with cheese, a medium order of fries, as well as an apple pie from White castle contains more fats compared to the American Heart Association recommends we consume by 50 % days.
Moderation becomes the important thing. Its OK to indulge a yearning for French fries once in a while, but to remain healthy you cant make it a regular habit price of celebrex blog. Getting a healthy, well-balanced meal in many fast food restaurants is usually a challenge, but there's always choices you'll be able to make that are healthier than others.
Learning to make healthier choices at take out restaurants
Making healthier choices at take out restaurants is easier if you prepare ahead by checking guides that relate you the nutritional content of meal choices at your favorite restaurants. Free downloadable guides help you evaluate your choices. In case you have a unique dietary concern, such as diabetes, heart health or weight loss, the websites of national non-profits provide useful advice. You may also choose to patronize restaurants that concentrate on natural, good quality food.
If you dont prepare before hand, wise practice guidelines help to produce your
meal healthier. As an example, an individual you believe healthy salad can be quite a diet minefield when
smothered in high-fat dressing and fried toppings, so choose a salad with fresh veggies,
grilled toppings as well as a lighter dressing. Portion control can also be important, as many
take out restaurants serve enough food for many meals inside the guise of a single
Methods for making healthy choices at fast food restaurants
- Make careful menu selections - observe the descriptions for the menu. Dishes labeled deep-fried, pan-fried, basted, batter-dipped, breaded, creamy, crispy, scalloped, Alfredo, au gratin or perhaps cream sauce usually are high in calories, unhealthy fats or sodium. Order items with more vegetables and judge leaner meats.
- Drink water together with your meal. Soda has become a supply of hidden calories. One 32-oz Big Gulp with regular cola packs about 425 calories, so one Big Gulp can rapidly gulp up a large percentage of your usage of calories. Try adding somewhat lemon to your water or ordering unsweetened iced tea.
- "Undress" your food. When selecting items, keep in mind calorie- and fat-packed salad dressings, spreads, cheese, sour cream, etc. By way of example, ask for a grilled chicken sandwich devoid of the mayonnaise. You'll be able to ask for a packet of ketchup or mustard and add it yourself, controlling simply how much you put onto your sandwich.
- Special order. Many menu items can be healthy when it weren't for that way these folks were prepared. Ask for your vegetables and main dishes to get served with no sauces. Obtain olive oil and vinegar for your salads or order the dressing "on the side" and spoon just a bit on at the same time. If the meals is fried or cooked in oil or butter, ask to get it broiled or steamed.
- Eat mindfully. Pay attention to what you eat and savor each bite. Chew your meal more thoroughly and avoid eating on the run. Being mindful does mean stopping until you are full. It requires time for your bodies to join up to that people have eaten. Mindful eating relaxes you, which means you digest better, and makes you feel more satisfied.
Methods for what things to AVOID at fast food restaurants
- Supersized portions. An average take out meal can go to 1000
calories or maybe more, so pick a smaller portion size, order a side salad as opposed to
fries, and don't supersize anything. At the typical restaurant, an individual serving provides
enough for just two meals. Take half home or divide the portion using a dining partner.
- Salt. Take out restaurant food tends to be very an excellent source of sodium, a major reason for blood pressure. Dont add insult to injury by adding more salt.
- Bacon. Its always tempting to include bacon to sandwiches and salads for really flavor, but bacon has not many nutrients and is full of fat and calories. Instead, try ordering extra pickles, onions, lettuce, tomatoes or mustard to incorporate flavor devoid of the fat buy sildenafil.
- Buffets - even seemingly healthy ones like salad bars. You'll likely overeat to get your money's worth. Should you do choose buffet dining, go for fresh fruits, salads with extra virgin olive oil & vinegar or low-fat dressings, broiled entrees and steamed vegetables. Resist the temptation to go for seconds, or wait no less than 20 mins after consuming to make sure your are still hungry before you go back for more.
. Current Mood: artistic
|Hiv and aids
How Are HIV and AIDS Treated
Right these days there are no cure for HIV or AIDS, but new medicines will help people live longer lives. Scientists can also be researching vaccines that could 1 day assistance to prevent HIV infection, however it is a really tough assignment, and no one knows when these vaccines might become available. It's up to everyone to avoid AIDS by avoiding the behaviors which lead to HIV infection.
Can HIV and AIDS Be Prevented
People may help stop multiplication of HIV by avoiding sexual contact with infected people through not sharing needles or syringes.
Health care workers (such as doctors, nurses, and dentists) help prevent multiplication of HIV by plastic gloves when implementing the patient. Hospitals have strict procedures for handling types of blood and other fluids in order to avoid others from pressing HIV.
Living With HIV and AIDS
New drugs make it easy for people who find themselves HIV positive to reside in for many years without getting AIDS. They can work or visit school, socialize, hang out, and do the majority of the things other folks are able to do. They will have to look at certain medicines daily to see their doctors pretty often, and so they may get sick greater than other people do as their natureal defenses are more fragile.
Even though they may look OK, people who find themselves HIV positive may sometimes feel scared, angry, unhappy, or depressed. They could feel afraid that the people at the office or school could find out and initiate treating them differently. It's important for all of us to understand that usual social contact, like eating lunch or getting referrals, with others who are HIV positive will not bring any probability of infection.
When HIV infection worsens or gets to be the disease called AIDS, life really changes. The individual ought to spend considerable time while having sex or in a medical facility as a consequence of serious illnesses. price of celebrex They may go through very tired or weak more often than not. Anyone also might shed weight.
An answer to an HIV-Free Future
Maybe 1 day, after a while and research, an end to HIV infection will be found and AIDS don't exist. For now, the most sensible thing to do is always to understand the facts and not place yourself at an increased risk.
If you've got more queries about HIV or AIDS, talk with a grownup you trust - a parent, doctor, school nurse, or guidance counselor. Don't depend only on your friends for information regarding HIV and AIDS simply because they may well not know all the right answers.
Reviewed by: Joel Klein, MD
Date reviewed: December 2009
. Current Mood: lethargic