Me!!!'s journal

> recent entries
> calendar
> friends
> profile
> previous 20 entries

Thursday, September 11th, 2014
6:53 pm - Meanwhile...summer in an Alaskan rainforest
According to the National Weather Service, Juneau received 24.18 inches of rain from June through August — typically the three driest months of the year in Southeast Alaska. Instead, Juneau had its rainiest summer in 72 years of accurate records, and Haines had its wettest summer in 104 years of record-keeping. If summer was a washout, we can at least hope for a pleasant, snowy winter — the first snowfall of the season was reported in Barrow on Tuesday. If you’ve seen “Game of Thrones,” then you know: Winter is coming.

(comment on this)

Friday, June 27th, 2014
12:06 pm - quick view of yesterday.
Just a quick update. Took yesterday off work and got the bed cleared off in the spare room for Jordan. Gina came over and cleaned my kitchen (dishes, cupboards, tupperware, floors, counters) while I was doing that. Bless her heart. Dakota came with her and finished cleaning the rocks for the aquarium.

Stopped at the pet stores when I picked them up. Got 15 of the 33 cent feeder golds, an upside catfish (cool fish, keeps trying to latch onto the bottom of the Oscar!) and a new pleco. Now I have a full tank again. The other pleco died on the 25th, leaving the Oscar all alone. He lasted two more days in the tank after I cleaned it. Oh, and got more bloodwarms as left the previous box on the counter Wednesday night :(

Fed ZZ after Daniel dropped her off. He had awakened her from an hour nap, so she was groggy until food time. Finally convinced her to go to the field by promising she can take pictures of Dada and Grandpa playing ball. Once we got there, she took a couple photos and dove into the dirt. So I monitored the dirt digging and watched Blain's game. Daniel's last game finished and he asked me to walk ZZ out to the car with him. I looked at all of his softball equipment and agreed. Blain caught up with us and sarcastically said thanks for the hug and kiss when he was off the field. And then kept right on walking away from us. Dang. Didn't fall into step with us like I was hoping. Daniel asked him something about WOW and he didn't hear.

Got ZZ into Daniel's car and her answer for everything he and I said after that was pretend pushing on a horn and saying beep beep. Daniel was taking her home and putting her back to bed!! LOL

(comment on this)

Saturday, May 10th, 2014
8:42 pm - Things to reflect upon
Hmmm - I'm not so sure I want to face any of these. As selfish as I have seen myself being the last few years, I don't think I am going to like what I see when I write about it.

* Day 1 — Your Best Friend
* Day 2 — Your Crush
* Day 3 — Your parents
* Day 4 — Your sibling (or closest relative)
* Day 5 — Your dreams
* Day 6 — A stranger
* Day 7 — Your Ex-boyfriend/girlfriend/love/crush
* Day 8 — Your favorite internet friend
* Day 9 — Someone you wish you could meet
* Day 10 — Someone you don’t talk to as much as you’d like to
* Day 11 — A Deceased person you wish you could talk to
* Day 12 — The person you hate most/caused you a lot of pain
* Day 13 — Someone you wish could forgive you
* Day 14 — Someone you’ve drifted away from
* Day 15 — The person you miss the most
* Day 16 — Someone that’s not in your state/country
* Day 17 — Someone from your childhood
* Day 18 — The person that you wish you could be
* Day 19 — Someone that pesters your mind—good or bad
* Day 20 — The one that broke your heart the hardest
* Day 21 — Someone you judged by their first impression
* Day 22 — Someone you want to give a second chance to
* Day 23 — The last person you kissed
* Day 24 — The person that gave you your favorite memory
* Day 25 — The person you know that is going through the worst of times
* Day 26 — The last person you made a pinky promise to
* Day 27 — The friendliest person you knew for only one day
* Day 28 — Someone that changed your life
* Day 29 — The person that you want tell everything to, but too afraid to
* Day 30 — Your reflection in the mirror

(comment on this)

Tuesday, January 7th, 2014
11:09 pm - Blain.
So last week Blain started complaining about an increase in thirst. Just could not get enough water and he had drank a little more than usual. Didn't think much of it except that it continued. And he was tired. Saturday after he said he was feeling nauseous, I suggested to him that maybe his medications needed to be adjusted and he barked at me about them being just fine. All week he wanted to go watch Hobbit 2 and was just too tired to go, too uncomfortable to sit in a movie theatre seat. Sunday after picking me up from work he cancelled that again.

Yesterday morning he picked me up, complaining that he had thrown up. I went into work and google searched excessive thirst. Something was ringing a bell, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Still didn't find it, but found something that said thirst, nausea and fatigue together required a visit to the doctor. I copied and pasted it into an email to Blain and then went about the day. He texted at 8:15am to say he had thrown up again and was going home. I texted back to him to call his doctor. He picked me up from work, doctor had not called. He dropped me off at home and went to the store for dinner fixings.

He was just so tired. We ate and he had to have a bowl of ice cream because it soothed his dry mouth and nauseated stomach. At 9pm, he was ready to go to bed. My Blain, who nevers go to bed before 10:30?

Elias brought my car back. So of course getting into it I slipped a little on the ice after getting my bad ankle into the car. No pain, all good. Drive home. Left knee unhappy with me. Bed.

Today was able to drive myself to work. Got a text from Blain that he was going to stay home. I texted him about 11"30 and he had heard from his doc's office. Appointment at 2:45. 4:15 I couldn't wait anymoer and texted him. He had just arrived home.

His blood sugar had been OVER 400!!! He has an insulin pen for a week. Once a day. Tonight he sent the ice cream and fruits home with me. Fruit is basically all he's been eating this last week. Wince. I'm sure that was adding to the problem.

Oh, and someone on the 6th floor burned popcorn in the microwave, setting off the fire alarms and evacuating the building.

(comment on this)

Friday, December 27th, 2013
10:58 am - NO WAY!!!!
N.S.A. Phone Surveillance Is Lawful, Federal Judge Rules


WASHINGTON — A federal judge in New York on Friday ruled that the National Security Agency’s program that is systematically keeping phone records of all Americans is lawful, creating a conflict among lower courts and increasing the likelihood that the issue will be resolved by the Supreme Court.

In the ruling, Judge William H. Pauley III, of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, granted a motion filed by the federal government to dismiss a challenge to the program brought by the American Civil Liberties Union, which had tried to halt the program.

Judge Pauley said that protections under the Fourth Amendment do not apply to records held by third parties, like phone companies.

“This blunt tool only works because it collects everything,” Judge Pauley said in the ruling.

“While robust discussions are underway across the nation, in Congress and at the White House, the question for this court is whether the government’s bulk telephony metadata program is lawful. This court finds it is,” he added.

A spokesman for the Justice Department said, “We are pleased the court found the N.S.A.'s bulk telephony metadata collection program to be lawful.” He declined to comment further.

Jameel Jaffer, the A.C.L.U. deputy legal director, said the group intended to appeal. “We are extremely disappointed with this decision, which misinterprets the relevant statutes, understates the privacy implications of the government’s surveillance and misapplies a narrow and outdated precedent to read away core constitutional protections,” he said.

The ruling comes nearly two weeks after Judge Richard J. Leon of Federal District Court for the District of Columbia said the program most likely violated the Fourth Amendment. As part of that ruling, Judge Leon ordered the government to stop collecting data on two plaintiffs who brought the case against the government.

In his ruling, Judge Leon said that the program “infringes on ‘that degree of privacy’ that the founders enshrined in the Fourth Amendment,” which prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures.

While Judge Leon ordered the government to stop collecting data on the two plaintiffs, he stayed the ruling, giving the government time to appeal the decision.

Judge Pauley, whose courtroom is just blocks from where the World Trade Center towers stood, endorsed arguments made in recent months by senior government officials — including the former F.B.I. director Robert S. Mueller III — that the program may have caught the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackers had it been in place before the attacks.

In the months before Sept. 11, the N.S.A. had intercepted several calls made to an Al Qaeda safe house in Yemen. But because the N.S.A. was not tracking all phone calls made from the United States, it did not detect that the calls were coming from one of the hijackers who was living in San Diego.

“Telephony metadata would have furnished the missing information and might have permitted the N.S.A. to notify the Federal Bureau of Investigation of the fact that al-Mihdhar was calling the Yemeni safe house from inside the United States,” Judge Pauley said, referring to the hijacker, Khalid al-Mihdhar.

Judge Pauley said that the “government learned from its mistake and adapted to confront a new enemy: a terror network capable of orchestrating attacks across the world.”

The government, he added, “launched a number of countermeasures, including a bulk telephony metadata collection program — a wide net that could find and isolate gossamer contacts among suspected terrorists in an ocean of seemingly disconnected data.”

The main dispute between Judge Pauley and Judge Leon was over how to interpret a 1979 Supreme Court decision, Smith v. Maryland, in which the court said a robbery suspect had no reasonable expectation that his right to privacy extended to the numbers dialed from his phone.

“Smith’s bedrock holding is that an individual has no legitimate expectation of privacy in information provided to third parties,” Judge Pauley wrote.

But Judge Leon said in his ruling that advances in technology and suggestions in concurring opinions in later Supreme Court decisions had undermined Smith. The government’s ability to construct a mosaic of information from countless records, he said, called for a new analysis of how to apply the Fourth Amendment’s prohibition of unreasonable government searches.

Judge Pauley disagreed. “The collection of breathtaking amounts of information unprotected by the Fourth Amendment does not transform that sweep into a Fourth Amendment search,” he wrote.

He acknowledged that “five justices appeared to be grappling with how the Fourth Amendment applies to technological advances” in a pair of 2012 concurrences in United States v. Jones. In that decision, the court unanimously rejected the use of a GPS device to track the movements of a drug suspect over a month. The majority in the 2012 case said that attaching the device violated the defendant’s property rights.

In one of the concurrences, Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote that “it may be necessary to reconsider the premise that an individual has no reasonable expectation of privacy in information voluntarily disclosed to third parties.”

But Judge Pauley wrote that the 2012 decision did not overrule the one from 1979. “The Supreme Court,” he said, “has instructed lower courts not to predict whether it would overrule a precedent even if its reasoning has been supplanted by later cases.”

As for changes in technology, he wrote, customers’ “relationship with their telecommunications providers has not changed and is just as frustrating.”

(comment on this)

7:34 am - Making Memories today
Lunch with Tom today to give him a Christmas gift. He met me on the hill and escorted my hobble down to Subway. He insisted it was his turn to buy lunch (it always is, bless him). So I got in line in front of him and waved my card at the cashier, who went back to the assembly line. So he got his card out and waved it next to mine. We each reached further until he poked me in the ribs! Low play, low play, laugh out loud. The clerk came along, swiped my card, I was happy, then he looked at Tom and said "What did you get?" and we started all over again. When he took Tom's card I, still laughing, told the cashier he sucked. He smiled and said "I'm sorry"

And this never happens, but my phone rang twice after we sat down. We ate and he liked his photo of him and baby Margaret. Then he walked me back up the hill to work again.

Then after work, Blain took me home to Wyatt. I ran inside and grabbed money for Jess and some of the flowers for Gina. Jess met us at Mendenhall Auto. I gave him the money as a Christmas gift and handed off the flowers. Then went inside to give the key to Service. Found out there is 3 months or 9,000 miles left on my warranty. Wow. Already 3 years? We went out to leave and I noticed Jess sitting in the bus stop. Blain went around and pulled up behind the bus stop, shining his head lights in. When Jess didn't respond to that he pushed the car horn. OMG, I haven't had such a hilarious laugh like that in ages when Jess leaped up with big eyes.

We dropped him off at home, I was able to give Gina a hug and hand her the flowers.

Then Blain dropped me off at home. I took Hazel outside and then Rora arrived with Milo puppy (he's 10 years old). We decided to go check out the new eats at Squires. They have a 22 inch hot dog! And you can order a POUND of condiments for for it. Anyway, nice visit. She gave me a Wildlife puzzle of a horse herd. We talked about Jackie and Dennis and health care changes.

(comment on this)

Wednesday, December 4th, 2013
10:17 am - Fishermen's Memorial and 16B

In accordance with AS 38.05.035(e) and AS 38.05.825, the Division of Mining, Land and Water has prepared a preliminary written decision requested conveyance of a parcel of state submerged land in Gastineau Channel, containing approximately 17.87 acres, for the purpose of developing two offshore cruise ship berths associated with an expansion of the existing Juneau downtown cruise ship dock. The requested parcel is within Subunit 6a8 of the Juneau State Land Plan (JSLP) and is located within Section 23, Township 41 South, Range 67 East of the Copper River Meridian, USGS Quad Map Juneau B-2, Latitude 58° 17’47.27” North, Longitude 134° 24’07.28” West. Related to this preliminary decision is a proposed area plan amendment to the JSLP and a land classification order (LCO), number SE-93-00-004A07.

You are invited to comment on the preliminary decision. A complete copy of the preliminary decision and related documents are available via a request to the following email address. Additionally, any comments you submit must be in writing and must be submitted to Anne Johnson, 400 Willoughby Ave, 4th Floor, Juneau, AK 99801, by fax to 907-465-3886, or by electronic mail to The submission deadline is 5:00 p.m., December 9, 2013. Please include your mailing address, email and phone number.

Following the comment deadline, all written responses will be considered before final action is taken on the proposed action. If DMLW determines that public comments in response to this notice indicate the need for significant changes to the decision, proposed plan amendment or land classification order, additional public notice will be given. If no significant changes are required, the preliminary decision, plan amendment and LCO will be issued in final incorporating any necessary minor changes. A copy of the final documents, including appeal instructions, will be sent to those persons who timely commented in writing on the preliminary decision; those not commenting timely or in writing will have no appeal rights ( AS 38.05.035(i)-(j)).

DMLW complies with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. DMLW is prepared to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing auxiliary aids when requested. Individuals with audio impairments who wish to respond to this decision by telephone may call the Department’s Public Information Center in Anchorage between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. M-F at TDD 907-269-8411.

DNR/DMLW reserves the right to waive technical defects in this notice.

/s/ David L. Kelley, Regional Manager, Southeast Regional Office

Juneau dock bid opening delayed until ownership of submerged tidelands is resolved

By Casey Kelly
Posted on November 15, 2013 at 5:40 pm
Category: Business, Featured News, Local Government, State Government, Tourism
Estimated reading time: 1 minute, 22 seconds

Share This Post

A consultant’s drawing of Juneau’s proposed floating cruise ship docks. Image courtesy CBJ Docks and Harbors Department.

The City and Borough of Juneau’s Docks and Harbors Department announced Friday evening that it will delay opening bids for a $54 million floating cruise ship berth project until the city is granted ownership of submerged tidelands by the State of Alaska.

Bids had been scheduled to be opened on Tuesday, November 19th. But now they will remain sealed until at least January, according to Port Director Carl Uchytil.

“The new bid opening date will be announced following the Final Finding and Decision of the Alaska Department of Natural Resources to convey tidelands to the City & Borough of Juneau,” Uchytil said in a press release.

DNR’s preliminary decision recommends transfer of the nearly 18 acre parcel to the city. But Uchytil said the bid opening will be delayed out of “an abundance of caution.”

The city this week received four bids for the project. However, they were to remain sealed until next Tuesday’s opening.

The Port Director could not be reached for comment late Friday. He and Port Engineer Gary Gillette came under fire this week by the Juneau Assembly and concerned citizens for their decision to move forward with the project despite the unresolved land conveyance and for not revealing the matter before a state public comment period started last week.

Interested parties have until December 9th to comment on DNR’s preliminary decision approving the land transfer. After that there will be a review period before the final decision is issued. DNR officials say the review period could take several weeks.

(comment on this)

Friday, November 1st, 2013
9:53 am - I had no idea they could get that old!!!
80-year-old orca missing, presumed dead
SEATTLE (AP) — Orca spotters say one of the older killer whales that frequent the Puget Sound has been missing for about six weeks and they presume Orca J8, also known as "Speiden," is dead.

The Orca Network told KOMO-TV the female orca was last seen on Sept. 19 near Victoria and has not been seen the past two times her J Pod was in the Puget Sound's Saratoga Passage.

Howard Garrett, co-director of the network, says Orca J8 was about 80 years old, which is near the upper limit for female orca longevity. Garrett speculates her disappearance was likely natural.

The Orca Network says J8 is not the oldest orca in her pod. Orca J2, known as "Granny," is believed to be 102 years old.

(comment on this)

Monday, October 21st, 2013
9:02 pm - yeah, it hurts a little bit...
All right, all right, I'm bawling my eyes out again. Dennis's phone is finally shut off. No more calling and listening to his voice mail message for a few seconds of comfort.

Mom let me know that Joe Craig died of a heart attack while wild pig hunting in Hawaii. Sexy, cute smile, soft spoken, laugh lines Joe Craig. So I decided to hear Dennis' voice and even I was pulling his number up on my phone, I had that thought that his number was coming up on a contract expiration soon. Sure enough, I got the automated message that the number was not in service. Kind of sat there a little stunned. That voice mail has been my rock the last few months. Like a personal line to Dennis himself.

Complete and total disconnect now. He's really gone. Like gone, gone. Cannot reach him. Cannot hear him, cannot talk to him and leave a message. Gone.

(comment on this)

Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013
4:32 pm - Weather Update
Juneau experiences 8th warmest August, 42nd driest
August in Juneau was warmer and drier than normal.

Meteorologist Geri Swanson says it was eighth warmest on record with an average temperature of 57.9 degrees, 2 degrees above normal.

The temperature exceeded 70 degrees on ten days. The warmest day of the month was 78 on August 12th.

It was the 42nd driest August since record keeping began at the airport in 1945.

Total precipitation for the month was 4.09 inches, point 83 below normal.

The forecaster says it rained on 17 days of the month.

Records were established on the 18th at both the airport and the forecast office on Back Loop Road. At the airport, 1.18 inches was recorded which broke the previous record for the date of point 94 inches set in 1970. Two and three quarters inches fell at the forecast office.

There was also over an inch of rain on the 19th, but no record was set for that date.

Winds averaged 6 miles per hour in August. The peak wind of 28 miles per hour on the 31st was clocked at the airport.

Labor Day high temp in Juneau ties record
Monday's high temperature in Juneau goes into the record books.

Meteorologist Tim Steffen in the Juneau Forecast Office says the 69 degrees recorded at the airport tied the 1974 mark for the date.

August was fourth-wettest ever in Kodiak
KODIAK, Alaska (AP) — You expect Kodiak to be wet. Just not this wet.

The Kodiak Daily Mirror reports August was the fourth wettest on record. The 9.3 inches of rain that fell last month tied August 1964 for fourth on the list. The record remains August 1977, when 11.13 inches of rain fell.

The rains came after an unusually hot and dry June and July. National Weather Service officials say June was the warmest on record since 1953. In July, there were 10 straight days of temperatures over 70 degrees and only one inch of rain the entire month.

(comment on this)

Sunday, August 25th, 2013
7:43 pm - The DAY is finally here....
The day I have dreaded and anticipated is finally here: My house now holds just myself and my pets. Only one other time has this been true and that was the month of December/January 2007. Maybe it was just December. Or just January. Anyway, it was the month Jess moved in with Andi and right before I moved in with my mother. I had the two bedroom Grant Apartment to myself and it took me a week to get used to it.

Now Boo and the baby have moved out into a place with Daniel. It's the apartment Daniel stayed in when Boo first started dating him. She had to leave her twin bed behind, which is fine. If ZZ ever spends the night with grandma, she will have a familiar bed to sleep in.

Tonight I went to the storage unit and got out the rubbermaid storage boxes. I stacked those against the far wall of the now "spare" bedroom. How weird it feels to say that. Not Jess and Gina's room, not Boo's room, but the spare room. And then I swept out all the mice turds, so now the storage unit is ready for Scoot-Scoot. I have to read the manual and figure out how to prepare her for the winter. I did nothing to her last winter, but should probably at least change the oil this winter. I will research that.

After work yesterday I tried to get a nap in the recliner. Boo called from her work, hungry. So I went to McDonald's and got us each a chicken bacon wrap and the baby a cheeseburger. I stayed there while I fed the baby and Boo learned how to close the store. We couldn't find her keys, and finally checked the diaper bag. ZZ had put them in there. What a good girl! I laughed as we left and stopped Boo. I pointed out that Daniel had my car, she was driving Daniel's car and I was driving her car. So none of us was driving our own car! She laughed. I drove the 5 or 6 blocks home and looked back at ZZ - poor thing was so out of it. She looked at me when I got out and just went back to sleep. So I locked the doors and dashed into my place to use the restroom and grab the storage unit key.

We met her mother at the storage unit and loaded up Wyatt with all her boxes from there. We put a couple in the back seat next to ZZ and she didn't even flinch. Boo said she was probably out for the night since she didn't get a nap. We got to their new place and Boo carried her inside to her bed. Then we unloaded the cars. I watched her put away a few things in the kitchen. When she came to sit down in the little living room, she realized she had left her contact cleaning things back in my bathroom. I urged her to go get them while she was still alive and I would stay with baby. She took one of her blue Rubbermaid totes with her and left. Not 15 minutes later ZZ woke up. I changed her diaper and she snuggled into my shoulder. Her mother had arrived while I did that. I thought she had passed back out because she was so limp, but Boo said her eyes were wide open. So we snuggled until she fell back asleep and I was able to put her back into her bed. Sure going to miss that little girl.

(comment on this)

Monday, June 24th, 2013
7:42 am - adorably cute
The granddaughter got up early today - wanted to walk the dog with grandma in her little nightgown. Wasn't until I pulled the nightgown off of her that she listened and went back down to Mama for a clean diaper and clothes. As soon as those pants were on, she was out of their room and back up the stairs, with mama following behind her carrying her socks and shoes!

(comment on this)

Thursday, December 27th, 2012
12:57 pm
So Blain and I took off the 19th to the 2nd. I have to go back to work (or jury duty) on the 2nd and he goes back to work on the 3rd.

So he had to work the morning of the 19th due to some unforeseen circumstances with the tug and barge mechanicals. I stayed home and did laundry, cleaned my room and the bathroom a little, played on the FB games, etc. Then we had lunch at Udder Culture and started his Christmas shopping. We decided to watch the Hobbit that night. I went home to get Hazel and her food. As I was struggling out the door, my oldest son pulled up!! I had seen Rosie Miller from the famous Rosie's Bar at Blain's barber shop, but she didn't say anything about TJ and the family being on the ferry with her. So I put the dog and everything into the car and talked to the kids through the window. Boo pulled up and deposited ZZ into Charine's lap. Then she was passed over to Uncle TJ. She wasn't too sure about this, but Grandma was there, so it had to be okay.

Hobbit was fun. I really really really like the men singing in those deep voices.

More shopping and wrapping. I worked Saturday and Sunday at the cab stand. Shane came in on Sunday to make sure Johanna was there on time. Which amazingly enough, she was. Mark's back has been out and he was laying on the floor in the other room trying to get some relief. Apparently Dr. Messerschmidt has him on acupressure or acupuncture therapy.

Finally shopped and wrapped ourselves to Christmas Eve. Had my chiropractor and massage therapy. Was so nice to have less pain during the massage. Progress is being made!!!

Dinner at Mom's at 5. Brianna, Shilo, Nathan, Boo, Rob, Blain, ZZ, self and Mom. ZZ walked around and around the bar separating the kitchen and dining room. Mom's back was bothering her, but she refused to get out of the kitchen. Blain even commented later that it was odd of her, she is usually content to let us do the serving and cleaning up, but not this year.

Christmas morning Brianna, Shilo and Nathan came over to Blain's for Christmas presents. Blain handed out the cards from Jo and Lukie that they left with him when they got onto the ferry. We each got $50 and a Gross Alaska movie theatre gift card. Shilo and Nathan put together the workbench Blain got for Nathan. They stayed and visited until almost 2. Faye had called me and I promised I would be by later. After the kids left, we warmed up the car and loaded it with gifts, then set out for Blain's brother's place on Deborah Dr. Marnell opened the door for us and we pushed past the dogs to come in. Dakota was particularly attention hungry so most of the visit my fingers were busy rubbing and scratching. James LOVED his shirt from Blain, one of the ones from the Public Market gaming booth. He liked the Big Bang Theory shirt I got him and was very happy with the box of pegboard.

From there, since it was almost 3, we went to Jess and Gina's. They were actually in the driveway having a cigarette. I pulled up and handed their gift off to Gina. Lots of laughing and joking about wives and husbands gift portions as she opened it. Hugs around and off Blain and I went to Faye's. I called her on the phone and she let us in. She had just enjoyed a dinner of bar-b-qued ribs. She gave us a container of goodies and told us what was going on with her. After about a half hour we took leave from her and went to my place for Blain's last gift from me. We decided to just take that to his place. Then it was off to Mom's. Rob wasn't ready, so we went straight to Mom's. We caught up with Boo at Salmon lights, then she turned off at the Douglas Breeze In to get soda.

Oh- will have to catch up later. Just got a call from the Realtor for Lukie and Joanne's place. They are ready for Blain to come sign closing paperwork. Gotta go out and get the car ready. About 3 inches of snow fell this morning. And the trick is to get the dry snow off the car before it warms up. Wet snow is easier to move after the car warms up, but dry snow is better before the car can warm and melt it and make it sticky.


(comment on this)

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012
8:17 am - Surviving the stairs...
I got out of bed!!!!! LOL - actually my back feels a LOT better than I expected it to feel after my fall yesterday. Dr. Gundelfinger stretched it pretty good last night, and the therapist worked on stretching it. Right now I can feel it tightening up, but I am mobile and functional and very happy to be so.

(comment on this)

Thursday, September 6th, 2012
9:13 pm - My emotions have had it up to here
This is what I put on FB tonight after I got home:
Stupid STUPID IDIOT motorcycle rider!!! Did you have a death wish?!?! Next time do it around someone who doesn't care if your shiny red bike gets crunched under their tires. IDIOT!! NEVER EVER pass between 2 cars on the white line in the middle of Egan highway in the rain on a wet road doing 60!!! Damn good thing you were wearing your black helmet with the white streaks cause you may need it later to save your life with STUPID stunts like that. IDIOT!! I could just shake you til your brain rattles in your head.

In mind were several swear words to go with it, but I was good. I could just see him making a wrong move and ending up crashing in front of me and the Subaru next to me. I laid on my horn for almost a half minute at him. And if the light hadn't turned red before I got to it, I WOULD have pulled into the median and gotten out to rattle his little damned peabrain.

Jacqui died. Aurora called me at lunch time to let me know. I was on the phone with Dennis at the time, and listened to her message I've been crying all afternoon. For a beautiful 30 year old woman with a young daughter and younger son. For Carl, her partner. For her daughter, Bella. For her son Isiah. For her best friend, Autumn. For Aurora, for whom Jacqui was her best friend.

My daughter didn't get the house. We looked at it last night, they pushed the paperwork tonight, and it didn't go. Guess it's not the house for her, but sure was nice. 4 bedroom.

Took ZZ over to spend some time with her great grandmother. Mom sure enjoyed it. ZZ wasn't sure what to make of her, but really, really liked the drum.

(comment on this)

Saturday, September 1st, 2012
9:05 pm - Juneau records 11th wettest August
August in Juneau was the eleventh wettest on record as the Capital City's summer continued to be cool and wet.

Meteorologist Geri Swanson in the Juneau Forecast Office of the National Weather Service says there was precipitation on 21 days for a total of 7.59 inches. She says that's 1.86 inches above normal.

Two daily precipitation records were set. There was 1.21 inches on the 8th and 1.28 inches on the 28th.

The average temperature was just under 55 degrees which is about 1.3 degrees below normal.

The highest temperature for the month was on the 14th when it reached 72. It also hit 70 on the 15th.

The coolest temperature came on the eve of the Blue Moon on the 30th when it dropped to 38 degrees.

Wind speeds were pretty average, she says at less than 10 miles per hour.

The highest gust at the airport was 30 miles per hour on the 8th out of the southeast.

(comment on this)

Tuesday, August 21st, 2012
6:34 am - in the news - watch your credit card
APD warns of credit card scam targeting hotels
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Anchorage police are warning of a credit card scam that has resurfaced, this one involving hotel guests.

Police say people are calling hotel rooms at random. When a guest answers, the caller identifies themselves as being from the front desk. They say there was a problem with their credit card, and ask the guests to repeat their card information.

Police say in a release that charges are put on the card from other locations within minutes.

Officials remind people to never give out information to anyone whose identity is uncertain. In cases like this, the Better Business Bureau suggests you hang up and call the front desk to ensure authenticity.

Police say oftentimes, the people behind this scam are in foreign countries and can't be tracked down.

(comment on this)

Thursday, August 16th, 2012
6:46 am - The earth is a mobile - when will humans learn that?
Study off Mass. coast finds noise harming whales
JAY LINDSAY,Associated Press
BOSTON (AP) — A study off the Massachusetts coast has concluded that increasing amounts of underwater noise, largely from shipping traffic, is surrounding rare right whales in an "acoustic smog," making it harder for them to communicate.

The endangered North Atlantic right whale relies far more on sound than sight, using distinctive noises to maintain contact.

A paper by federal scientists and Cornell University researchers published Wednesday estimates that in the last 50 years, the area where the whales can effectively communicate in Stellwagen Bank and surrounding waters off Massachusetts has fallen by two-thirds because of the noise.

They say that's cutting down on the animals' ability to gather and share vital information that helps them find food, avoid predators, reproduce and protect their young.

(comment on this)

Monday, July 2nd, 2012
6:18 am - Wet June
June wettest on record for Juneau
It was a record wet June in Juneau.

That's the word from Meteorologist Pete in the Juneau Forecast Office.

He says the total rainfall for the month was a whopping 6.69 inches which is 3.45 inches above normal.

June breaks the previous record of 6.22 inches set in 1996.

The National Weather Service has kept records at Juneau's airport since 1943.

The most precipitation for a 24 hour period was 1.82 inches on June 27.

The forecaster says there were only two days in June that did not receive measurable precipitation.

After a cold May, temperatures finally reached into the 60's on June 4th for a few days.

There was a three day span from the 22nd to the 24th of high temperatures ranging from 77 to 82 degrees.

Even with those days, the average high temperature for June was only 57.5 which is 4.7 degrees below normal.

There was one record broken for the low daily maximum temperature. The high on the 14th was only 48 degrees. The previous record for that date set in 1949 was 50 degrees.

Low temperatures were just 1.1 degrees below average at 45.8 degrees.

The average daily temperature was 51.7, 2.9 degrees below normal.

The winds for June were primarily out of the southeast at an average speed of 6.7 miles per hour.

The highest wind of the month came on the 24th with a peak speed of 37 miles per hour from the southeast. It hit 30 miles per hour out of the southeast on the 21st.

The winds were primarily out of the southeast at an average speed of 6.7 miles hour.

(2 comments | comment on this)

Friday, June 29th, 2012
10:12 am - Reports surface about mushy halibut
KENAI, Alaska (AP) — More sport fishermen are reporting catching mushy halibut.

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game says it is receiving more reports from sport fishermen that the halibut they are catching are mushy.

The Peninsula Clarion says reports of mushy halibut are coming in fairly regularly from all over Cook Inlet. The reports have prompted officials to conduct a round of tests to determine what might be causing the problem.

The fish are safe to eat and taste fine. However, officials say the flesh has a jelly-like consistency and when cooked falls apart into something that looks like oatmeal.
(Peninsula Clarion)

(comment on this)

> previous 20 entries
> top of page